Family Sponsorship: Sponsor a Parent or Grandparent
This program allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their parents and grandparents as permanent residents; in other words, this program is an opportunity for Canadian citizens and permanent residents to reunite with their parents and grandparents.
There is a limitation to the number of applicants who may sponsor their parents or grandparents. The application process typically opens once a year. The eligible sponsors/applicants are invited to submit an interest to sponsor form. Later, the said forms will be reviewed, and some potential applicants will be randomly selected to sponsor their parents or grandparents.
- What are some of the eligibility requirements for parents or grandparents sponsorship program? The main requirement that must be satisfied by the potential sponsor is the financial requirement. The applicants are required to prove that they have enough income to support their parents or grandparents; in other words, the sponsors will be financially responsible once they become sponsors.
- How much income do I need to sponsor my parents or/and grandparents? The immigration officers will assess your three tax years’ income to ensure that you, as the sponsor, would be able to support your dependents along with your parents and/or grandparents.
- How many invitation letters may be sent each year? This number is not fixed. It may differ every year. For instance, in 2022, almost 23,100 invitations were issued.
- What is the next step after receiving the invitation to apply? The sponsors and principal applicants (parents or/and grandparents) will be invited to provide their application package within a timeline provided in the invitation letter.
- Could a co-signer support my application as a sponsor? The answer is yes, and only your spouse or common-law partner would be able to be your co-signer.
- How long will the sponsor be financially responsible for their parents or grandparents? Twenty years from the day your parents or grandparents become permanent residents.
- What is the processing time for this type of sponsorship? The processing time may differ every year. See the following link for current processing times: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html